Friday 19 October 2007

Plenty of Fibre

Go check out the How Dare You blog, the theme this week is Fibre, lots of lovely inspiration there. This piece is a bit of a collage of images taken of my part of my entry. This originally started out as a cover to be glued to an Art Sketch book but it didn't ever make it there - instead it got itself framed. I loved doing this and especially loved the beading and embellishing with the fibres. All fibres bought from The Thread Studio, the beads have been with me for a long time and are some of my favourite. There is silk crunchies, dyed merino and sari silk fibres in there. All in all a bit of a mishmash of texture and colour.

This is all done using needle felting, I have small hand held tool that I use but I am currently coveting the machines that do this so quickly - I have been shopping around and am still undecided on which machine but seem to be more inclined to get the Husky Star just now. I am pretty sure it would be quieter than my little hand tool. As an added incentive to go to the How Dare You blog you will also see an Art Journal cover and a needle case which I made, along with some other rather nifty stuff by some talented girls. The needle case was given as a gift to one of Amanda's teachers who left recently, just as well that I had it because I was only asked for something on the morning of the day the teacher was leaving...my kids organised - not a chance! I also made an Art Journal cover for my mothers birthday (which I forgot to photograph but she has promised to that for me), that was done on a white background so looks quite a bit different. On those I used some teeny tiny sequins bought from here I just love the selection that they have and will no doubt be back shopping there before long. I will post pics of my other work - currently I am making another needle case for myself - again - and this is on turquoise felt, just got to finish up beading it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Natalie B said...

Gorgeous Ev :-)

Coby said...

Hi Evelyn

As soon as I saw the collage of your framed piece of art I wondered whether you had used a felting machine. Now I know!!

Your work is beautiful, I love the mix of colors and the beads look fabulous.

Love Coby